14 June 2010

Literary Reflection

If you could bring one character from any one book that we have read this year with you when you go to college, who would bring? Why? 
I would choose Chris McCandless (aka Alexander Supertramp) from Into the Wild but I wouldn't bring him to college but on the great American road trip I plan to go on before college; the kind of road trip where you sleep in forest clearings and swim in lakes in the moonlight. I feel like he would be the perfect companion, because he is the the kind of person I wish I could become. It has always been my dream to rid myself of all my earthly possessions, renounce the materialistic values of society, and join the Peace Corps or something selfless like that, and I think that Alexander Supertramp is the essence of a simple lifestyle. He would know how to hitchhike, find food, and live in the wild. 
He once said, "So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more dangerous to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future." That is something I truly believe in. It seems ridiculous to me that people should live unhappy lives because they think that they can never follow their dreams, when in reality the only thing stopping them is themselves, and the fake barriers that society imbeds in the minds of the masses. 
In his journal he wrote, "The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun." I love this because it is true; without new experiences and new places, things become routine and bland. 
Alexander Supertramp lived a life, free and simple. He traveled from the southern-most point of the country to the wild north of Alaska. From his knowledge of the roads and the wilderness to his deep reflections on society and happiness he would be a perfect friend and companion for a road trip across America.    













        



No comments:

Post a Comment