17 June 2010

Writing Reflection

In the beginning of the year I was sure I was a terrible writer and nothing could change that. It took me hours to write anything coherent.
Resistant, at first, I wrote my American Icons artist statement. It was boring and formulaic. But, (as corny as corny as it sounds) with the help of the writing tips and bit of determination I improved my writing.
By the middle of the year my writing had gotten substantially better. When I wrote my essay about Into Thin Air, Jon Krakauer's tale of the deadliest season on Everest, my writing was decent; I seamlessly blended facts and analysis. After that I skipped a few assignments, saving my new found talent for a worthy cause. Then my opportunity arrose, Ampersand. Since I was an editor I devoted most of my time, guiding my editing group, and put off my own writing for the sake of bettering the writing of others. This was okay since my article was on procrastination. In the end my Ampersand article turned out better than expected. After a series of twenty or so drafts, my article was finished and I actually like it.        

No comments:

Post a Comment